Blogmas Post #2

Blogmas Post #2

There are only 23 Days left until Christmas! The question for you today:

Do you have a special food tradition that is made every year at Christmas? 

There is one food tradition that we had that brings to mind someone very special to me, who is no longer here. Our special food was called "Baked Apples" and they were made by my Grandmother. No one made them like she did. My Grandma passed away 7 1/2 years ago to breast cancer. I asked for the recipe one year and I'm so glad I did. However, my grandma never followed recipes. She would always say add some of this or a bit of that. It was kind of funny because I wanted exact measurements and she would say make it your own recipe. She also assured me that I would know how to make them and wouldn't need to always follow the recipe. This is true today, I don't use the recipe now as I have memorized it and made it my own. I have made them for many friends and family. Have I made them for you? I haven't made them since we lived in Corpus Christi. Maybe I will make them this year. However, they are not Keto approved, but they are yummy! Y'all are in for a real treat today! Here is the recipe if you would like to try these baked apples. If you do try these, let me know! I'd love to know what you think of them. 


My love of baking and cooking came from this lady! 

-Bag of apples
-1/2 bag of cinnamon red hots
1/2 bag brown sugar
4 TB butter (melted)

~Peel, core, and cut the apples into slices (not too thick).  Stir the red hots and brown sugar mixture into the melted butter. Pour over apple mixture in oven safe bowl and cover apples with water. Bake at 350F for 1 1/2-2 hours. Stir every 20 minutes. 


Notes I've made over time:

~If it's a large bag of apples you will need more of those 3 things.
~Grandma used Red Delicious but I like to use one that's a little tart. 
~You can never have too many red hots! They are hard to find! I remember
having a hard time finding them in C.C. They do come in boxes if you can't find the bag. The bags my grandma used were about a medium size. 
~These are served with your dinner in little bowls and get some of the juice in your bowl too. 
~You know the apples will be done when they are soft, not crunchy. 
~Scott and I also tried this over ice cream once..so yummy! 

Sorry I don't have a picture of the apples, I need to remedy that situation! 

Comments

  1. My grandma always made chili soup and corn chowder. Then there were all kinds of Christmas cookies to have for dessert! That looks like a yummy recipe. Thank you for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a nice warm meal on a cold day! Thank you for sharing, friend!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Our 2nd miscarriage

Our 1st Miscarriage

Blogmas Post #3